I produced a one-page media skills guide this week for a client, and I though I’d share it here.
- What is your business reason for talking to the media?
- Take charge, stand your ground, never run
- Know your message (3 – 4 points)
- Keep it simple and short
- Keep it positive, forward-looking
- Avoid jargon
- Don’t rush your answers
- Anticipate challenging questions
- Bridge away from unhelpful questions
- Stay polite and professional
- Think of the intended audience
- Know your exit strategy (limit questions/time)
Neil Everton has distilled a lifetime’s experience with some of the world’s top news organizations into his Media Mastery training aids for anyone worried about talking to reporters. The video, books, e-books and workbooks are available in the Podium Coaching online store.