Helena Popovic’s book, In Search of my Father, was inspired by her struggle to support her father as he slipped deeper into dementia.
In turn, the book inspired Helena to investigate how the brain works, and how it’s function can be improved.
Helena, a medical doctor from Australia, was one of the speakers at the Global Speakers’ Summit in Vancouver.
Her enjoyable keynote included a list of tips to boost your brain power. I had a great time talking with Helena, and she was happy for me to share her tips.
- Get a can-do attitude. Drop preconceived ideas and attitude and you will achieve more.
- Get curious. Replace the word ‘can’t’ with the word ‘how’ and stimulate the brain to seek solutions. ‘How’ gets us thinking.
- Get sober. More that 2 drinks a day shrinks your brain.
- Get moving. Exercise before making a presentation or doing something important. Twelve minutes of exercise will boost brain function.
- Get out of your chair. Stand for 2 minute after sitting for 20 minutes.
- Get laughing. Laughing works like exercise and boosts your immune system.
- Get a change of scene. Walk in nature. Nature is restorative.
- Get some sunshine. Have good lighting when you work.
- Get challenged. Continue with life-long learning. Read Shakespeare or poetry out loud to grow new connections in your brain. Learning another language delays dementia by 4 years.
- Get out of your comfort zone.
- Get friendly with failure. When we have to strive and struggle we are boosting our brains.
- Get adequate sleep. The brain is programmed to take a nap around 4 pm.
- Get still. Stilling the mind is as important as exercise. Learn to mediate.
- Get focused. The brain is designed to focus on one thing at a time. Focus on what you want and how you want it to look. Don’t multi-task.
- Get friendly. Get socially engaged personally and digitally.
- Get into volunteering. It changes blood flow to the brain.
- Get excited. Do things that give you meaning and purpose. Excitement brings out the best in us. Excitement and positivity is the No.1 factor to boost your brain and enhance your life.
Halina St James takes the worry out of presentations with her Present Like a Pro video training course. It’s available now from the Podium Coaching online store, together with her popular TalkitOut: From Fears to Cheers e-book and workbook.